He is able to accomplish infinitly more than we would ever dare to ask or hope... Ephesians 3:20. I want my life to be a reflection of Him, covered in his fingerprints and to surrendered to his extravagant plan.

Friday, February 26, 2010

A little piece of Africa


Today I had the opportunity to do something that I love. Since coming home from Africa last summer, I have known that my story isn't finished. A chapter may have come to a close for now, but there are still many pages to turn. The month I spent there was life changing, eye opening, and unforgettable. However, that is only part of the story. "Now that I have seen I am responsible", is how the lines of one of my favorite songs goes. I believe that it is my job to share what I learned and saw while I was there, and since I can't go back right now, this is my mission field and this is how I serve Africa.
Caitlyn and I have made it our goal to share our experience with those around us, and today we were able to do just that. We gave a presentation to over 50 residents of the retirement home that I work at. Looking past the fact that some of them fell asleep, or that some plugged their ears when I played guitar and sang ( I learned that turning your amp up really loud because you think that all elderly people are practically deaf,is not a good idea and only messes with their hearing aids making things very uncomfortable for them... oops) it went REALLY well. We had several come and talk to us after it was over and some even took information on child sponsorship! I love giving presentations because while I'm up there all the stories and memories come flooding back and for an hour or so, I'm back in Mozambique.
We figured out today that we (Caitlyn and I) have been able to share our story with over 5 groups and churches, and over 300 people since we got home. I guess my point of posting this is simple that I'm realizing how sometimes what we feel like God is asking us to do isn't always what we had originally planed.. I guess that's obvious and sort of goes without saying, but lately it just seems to be what He's lovingly been pounding into my head. Honestly, I would have much rather gone to Africa this summer. As much as I love talking about it, it's just not the same. It's difficult sometimes, but this is where I am and this is the job I have been given and I'm excited about it. It's funny how God can work things out and open doors we never even knew existed when we're willing to obey.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Ally! I had a lot of fun presenting with you! Thanks for being a great friend and helping me keep perspective! I am glad that we haven't given up traveling and just are containing ourselves in the smaller perimeter of CR. BTW you should have written about following the light...literally! HAHA Love you!

    ReplyDelete